Windows Server 2012 is approaching its End of Life (EOL) on October 10, 2023. This means that Microsoft will no longer provide regular security updates, patches, or technical support for this version.
Running unsupported software exposes businesses to security vulnerabilities, compliance issues, and operational risks.
Are you one of the 40,534 businesses affected by this event?
Here are some things businesses need to do to prepare for the EOL of Windows Server 2012
- Assess their current environment and identify all systems running Windows Server 2012.
- Evaluate their options for upgrading or migrating to a newer version of Windows Server.
- Implement a backup and disaster recovery solution to protect their data.
- Start planning and executing the migration as soon as possible.
Upgrade or Migrate?
There are two main options for businesses that are using Windows Server 2012:
- Upgrade: Upgrade to a newer version of Windows Server, such as Windows Server 2016 or 2022. This allows businesses to continue using their existing applications and data while also benefiting from the latest security features and performance improvements.
- Migrate: Migrate to the cloud, such as Microsoft Azure. This is a good option for businesses that want to take advantage of the latest technologies and security features, and that are willing to make a significant investment in the migration.
Backup and Disaster Recovery
In addition to upgrading or migrating, businesses should also consider implementing a backup and disaster recovery solution. This will help protect their data in the event of a hardware failure, cyberattack, or other disaster.
There are many different backup and disaster recovery solutions available, so businesses should choose one that meets their specific needs. Some factors to consider include the amount of data to be backed up, the frequency of backups, and the level of recovery required.
Start Planning Now
The EOL of Windows Server 2012 is approaching quickly. October 10th, 2023 is the official end date. Businesses must start planning and executing the migration as soon as possible to avoid any disruptions to their operations.
Contact a Managed Service Provider
If you need help planning and executing the migration, you can contact a trusted and reputable Managed Service Provider (MSP) such as Vector Choice. We have the expertise and experience to help businesses navigate the EOL of Windows Server 2012 and ensure a smooth migration.
The EOL of Windows Server 2012 is a significant event for businesses that rely on this platform. By following the steps outlined above, businesses can prepare for the EOL and ensure that their data and operations are protected.